02 Virago 250- New Rider

Whitedog
Hey all! I am a brand new rider and owner of an 02 Virago 250. I was out for a ride on Thursday and everything was going fine. Came up to a stop sign and my bike died. Couldn't get it to start right away. Finally got it going again and took off at 55mph. Shortly after the bike dropped down to about 45mph, but then came up again. This happened again. One more time, but this time down to 35mph. I pulled off to a side street and by the time I stopped the bike was dead again. Could not get it started again. I called my friend, a more experienced rider, and eventually we got it started and back home. But it wasn't revving right and did die one more time on the way back. Any input as to what the issue might be and how to go about fixing it would be much appreciated! Oh yeah, and before Thursday, the bike had been sitting for about 3 weeks since the last time it was started. Thanks!