Quantcast

1982 virago xv920 Starter Clutch

w4titans440
I havebougt this 82 XV 920 and the guys at the shop have told me that
the starter clutch is bad. I have bought and new starter with the shim
kit and power clip but they say i need a new starter cluch also and I
have not had any luck finding this and I need some help.

thanks,
w4titans440

RE: 1982 virago xv920 Starter Clutch

Rick in DFW area

If you go to yamaha's site, you can find the starter clutch assembly exploded diagram and parts list.  See attachement.  Most can be purchased new (expensive, but you know the parts aren't already worn out). Otherwise, ebay is your best bet.  Hopefully the yamaha diagram will help you know what to look for.

To: [hidden email]: [hidden email]: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:56:05 +0000Subject: [ViragoTech] 1982 virago xv920 Starter Clutch

I havebougt this 82 XV 920 and the guys at the shop have told me that the starter clutch is bad. I have bought and new starter with the shim kit and power clip but they say i need a new starter cluch also and I have not had any luck finding this and I need some help.thanks,w4titans440

Introducing Live Search cashback .  It's search that pays you back!
http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=introsrchcashback

starterclutch.jpg (19K) Download Attachment

RE: 1982 virago xv920 Starter Clutch

Rick in DFW area

And, not to say the guys in your shop are wrong... they've seen the bike, I have not.  But, check out
http://www.geocities.com/peterpclc/Video.html

I have heard that when all other fixes fail, this (flywheel teeth regrind) is the answer.  No personal experience, however.

To: [hidden email]: [hidden email]: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:56:05 +0000Subject: [ViragoTech] 1982 virago xv920 Starter Clutch

I havebougt this 82 XV 920 and the guys at the shop have told me that the starter clutch is bad. I have bought and new starter with the shim kit and power clip but they say i need a new starter cluch also and I have not had any luck finding this and I need some help.thanks,w4titans440

Introducing Live Search cashback .  It's search that pays you back!
http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=introsrchcashback

Re: 1982 virago xv920 Starter Clutch

ms8238
Stop going to that shop they are idiots, the 81-83 bikes do not have a
starter clutch.

You need a new idler gear #2 and spring clip for idler gear #2.

Also add an extra ground from the battery to the steel frame.
Leave the stock on to alumium alone.

Do those and thank me later. Short cut them tips and good luck.

Most also add a 3rd ground from battery to rectfyier for better
charging.
But you don't have to.

several post a week form folks in the forum astounded by hwo adding some
better ground fixes so many problem. Hard starting, bad charging or
spark problems.

Why cars have ground strap all over the place.