1984 yamaha virago... what is it worth?

Drob1387
I have a guy in my apartment complex that has a 1984 yamaha virago 1000 that runs and drives, needs new front brakes and has 35000 miles on it and needs a new rear tire, he is only asking $400 for it. What is this bike worth and is this a good deal? Any responseswould be very appreciated. I have never owned a cruiser but I would like to check it out.

Re: 1984 yamaha virago... what is it worth?

jack lay
Does it start readily with starter turning at high rpm (by ear) and both cylinders  firing up? If so, worth a thousand or more easily if not rusted, dinged to hell.
I have an 85 1000, same as an 84. Has 50,000 mi. Have had starter and carb problems. Carbs a bitch to work on/tune. Just installed a Vikuni TM40-6 single carb. works fine, easily jetted. much more power, response.
Starter--another problem. changed out starter clutch, solenoid, starter and #1 idler gear. Worked great for two weeks, then went weak. It's the solenoid or the aftermarket starter- a mistake. Only use OEM parts. And then they can also fail.