1985 xv1000 running odd if at all

dcoates
looking for ideas on possible problems with my bike. when it does start (hard starting) it only idles low with choke on, if you take the choke offit will stall oit. if tou lean the bike on the kick stand it stalls out and if you rev it it stls out. it also seems like its only running on one cylinder.  i just rebuilt the carbs thinking this was the issue but it wasn't so I did an oil change, replaced the fuel filter, a d new plugs. any ideas would be awesome.

Re: 1985 xv1000 running odd if at all

ViragoJoe
This post was updated on .
Did it ever run properly or was it this way when you purchased it?

Was this your first time rebuilding any Virago carbs?
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

Re: 1985 xv1000 running odd if at all

dcoates
yes it is. But we found the problem, we didnt get the pilot jet cleaned enough. runs perfect now.

I bought it running on one cylinder.

Re: 1985 xv1000 running odd if at all

ViragoJoe
So, your problem is resolved then?
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

Re: 1985 xv1000 running odd if at all

dcoates
yes

Re: 1985 xv1000 running odd if at all

larrydr
I DO HAVE A 1995 XV1100 , AND DID HAVE OVERFUEL CONDITIION ..PLUGS WOULD RUN TO RICH ,,BLACK COLOR ..  ..WHAT I DID FIND TO SESOLVE THE PROBLEM ( CARBURETOR )  WAS MY NEEDLE AND SEAT WERE WORN ... I ALSO REPLACED  1 COIL ..FRONT CYLINDER ..AND PUT IN NEW PLUGS .
THE FUEL ENRICHMENT CIRCUIT WAS NOT SETUP RIGHT ..HAD TO ADJUST THE PILOT SCREW