Custom Pipes - XV1100 1996

BJ

Custom Pipes - XV1100 1996

BJ
Can anyone recommend a set of custom pipes for my XV1100 1996 Virago. I'm in Western Australia - presently looking at a set of Black Widows online from UK ..... any advice would be much appreciated
BJ

Re: Custom Pipes - XV1100 1996

BJ
ended up getting the Black Widow pipes from the UK. Once they arrive and I have installed them I will post a comment

Re: Custom Pipes - XV1100 1996

ViragoJoe
BJ,
Be aware you may have to re-jet your carburetors with these new pipes.  what made you feel the need to want to change your pipes?  There are times that you can really open up a can of worms with modifications to pipes and or carburetors.  You can also lose performance and increase your chances for more back firing that some Virago's are prone to do.
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special
BJ

Re: Custom Pipes - XV1100 1996

BJ
Thanks for your comment VJ ..... I brought the bike as a basket case project - and because there was something about it that was calling to me - since working on it I know I am going to gain some big satisfaction when I have finally restored the beast back to its original glory. The fella I brought it from had put a set of home made pipes on it - and man they have to be the ugliest set of tubes I have ever seen .... complete with gunky welds and copious rust :(
The Black Widow pipes finally arrived from the UK (local freight yard stuck a fork tine through the box - by some miracle the pipes were untouched) cant speak highly enough about these pipes .... nice quality and craftsmanship - thick steel no compromise there. They also have baffles so aren't a straight through system like the hm rats on the bike. Guys at Black Widow said I wont have to re-jet with this exhaust system. Will put them on once I have finished rebuilding / restoring the front end ..... cheers

Re: Custom Pipes - XV1100 1996

ViragoJoe
BJ,
Can you post a picture of your Bike.  I too have a '96 1100, Special Edition.

You might want one of these for it and it works fabulously:
http://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=139

Rich the fabricator of this shifter makes a nice robust design.  He lives about 300 or so miles (483 km) from me.

He also makes a fantastic set of forward controls with a heel shifter incorporated.  Take a look and see what you think.  http://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/app.php/page/forwardcontrols?sid=4cfaf732fc4ba0aef3e917bec390e5e9

Not sure, but I think he ships world wide.
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special
BJ

Re: Custom Pipes - XV1100 1996

BJ
My Virago
BJ

My Bike

BJ
I've taken the front screen off since this snap - and the home made rear rack - had to replace both rear grab rails as the previous owner had drilled 2 holes in each one to bolt on the rack ......
Currently have front end off cleaning everything up - some corrosion treatment - new front fork kit and front tyre.

Re: My Bike

ViragoJoe
BJ,
Looks like you have a 1996 Special Edition as well.

I question those front brake disc's.  They look to be from an early model Virago, for the 1996 has drilled holes through out the disc itself, no slots.  As long as they stop the bike, that really isn't important.

You have probably done this already.  But, dump all the fluids and replace.  Final drive lube, Brake Fluid, fork oil, and Engine oil (oil filter hole faces outward.  Oh, and watch you don't loose the small O-ring on the bottom bolt of the filter cover.  Some filters may not have replacement O-rings packaged with them).  Oh yeah, gasoline too.

If you don't have a repair manual.  Get one.  I do have electronic versions, if you want one.

This link may help you with cleaning up some of the rust from the chrome:

http://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=518&sid=16200f4cdd859de0ec80a18306f70481
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special
BJ

Re: My Bike

BJ
As far as I know the bike  has had no modifications ......very low ks on the motor barely 20000 - just that it was left out in the weather and was never used so consequently it came up second best against the elements .... expecting that all the parts presently on board was how it was sold here in Oz. Original brake shoes in front discs - need replacing. Such a shame that this beast didn't find someone who would appreciate it ..... but now it has
BJ

Re: My Bike

BJ
to clean up the bike I generally use autosol paste and purple polish - with a lot of elbow grease.
Thanks for the coke tip - will give it a go.

Also use the nylon scourers and Bunnings sell very fine grades of steel wool .... handy stuff

Re: My Bike

ViragoJoe
BJ,
Remember not all chrome is equal.  Motorcycle chrome is usually pretty thin stuff.  So, keep abrasives to a minimum.  Shiny side of Aluminum foil is a very light abrasive and works on chrome nicely.
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special
BJ

Re: My Bike

BJ
regarding the manual you spoke about - is it ok with the latest operating system ( say windows 10 )
I downloaded one and printed it out - turns out it was for the xv1000 .... I was so disappointed I didn't read the fine print - learn by your mistakes I guess. If you recommend the one you have for our bikes - please let me know how I can get a copy.

Re: My Bike

ViragoJoe
BJ,
You can download it from Virago Help.  If you have any problems get back to me.

http://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=15

Joe
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special