Fuel filter

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
My 98 XV 1100 got real anemic on a ride last week. I suspect fuel filter. Bought an OEM part 1FK-24560-10 but it does not fit into the fuel lines.  The old filter is an Emgo 1434480, which appears to have smaller female connectors.  I have searched high and low for an Emgo with this number without success.  Does anyone have a source or a suggested alternate?
thx
Jim

Sent from my iPad

Re: Fuel filter

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
I have been using a universal marine grade fuel filter from the dread
wallmart since december of 2010. I have had no issues at all. It however,
does not fit the filter holder. Still, this has not been an issue.

Thank You,

Dante

On 17 June 2016 at 16:26, James Moore [hidden email] [ViragoTech] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> My 98 XV 1100 got real anemic on a ride last week. I suspect fuel filter.
> Bought an OEM part 1FK-24560-10 but it does not fit into the fuel lines.
> The old filter is an Emgo 1434480, which appears to have smaller female
> connectors. I have searched high and low for an Emgo with this number
> without success. Does anyone have a source or a suggested alternate?
> thx
> Jim
>
> Sent from my iPad

Re: Fuel filter

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
I don't know where you have looked or what your filter looks like but there are a lot of Emgo filters on Ebay. You might also check on line at Dennis Kirk and Bike Bandit. I also found where you can get a catalogue on line from Emgo. You might take your filter to an auto parts store and see if they can match something up for you.  Good Luck.

Re: Fuel filter

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
Thanks. Found a unit that fits at local dealer. That's the good news . Bad news is that bike still misses and backfires like crazy. Number 2 plug looks wet.  Both have spark but not visibly real strong.
 So I think I have valve or TCI issues.
Any suggestions to conduct diagnosis?
jim

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 18, 2016, at 2:35 PM, Doyle Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I don't know where you have looked or what your filter looks like but there are a lot of Emgo filters on Ebay. You might also check on line at Dennis Kirk and Bike Bandit. I also found where you can get a catalogue on line from Emgo. You might take your filter to an auto parts store and see if they can match something up for you.  Good Luck.

Re: Fuel filter

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
One more bit of potentially relevant info. When I started pulling stuff apart, I found that a wire which runs from the pickups was melted through on the exhaust .  I reinsulated it and tied it away from the exhaust, but I think it was grounded for a while.  Could this have cooked the TCI or coils?

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 18, 2016, at 9:36 PM, James Moore [hidden email] [ViragoTech] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks. Found a unit that fits at local dealer. That's the good news . Bad news is that bike still misses and backfires like crazy. Number 2 plug looks wet.  Both have spark but not visibly real strong.
>  So I think I have valve or TCI issues.
> Any suggestions to conduct diagnosis?
> jim
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jun 18, 2016, at 2:35 PM, Doyle Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know where you have looked or what your filter looks like but there are a lot of Emgo filters on Ebay. You might also check on line at Dennis Kirk and Bike Bandit. I also found where you can get a catalogue on line from Emgo. You might take your filter to an auto parts store and see if they can match something up for you.  Good Luck.

Re: Fuel filter

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
Hi;
I've had the same problem and stripped the carbs to find the problem.1. I found the gasket on the front head at the cylinder to be leaking and2. the carb diaphragms both have little tears in them which cause slow movement and too much fuel to enter the carbs.
    I purchase new diaphragms from JBM Industries Rubber Carburetor Boot Socket Holders & Diaphragms
|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| JBM Industries Rubber Carburetor Boot Socket Holders &...JBM Industries rubber carburetor holder socket boots, flange intake sockets, vibration isolators, stainless steel exhaust springs, for Rotax 912, 582, 503, 447, 377... |
|  |
| View on jbmindustries.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

Re: Fuel filter

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
I have a 95 XV1100 and also had problem with the 2-wire lead from the pickup coil grounding on the left side cover. Terrible backfires and then nothing. Fix was to replace 2-wire pickup assy and lead from Ebay at $45.
As a test, disconnect the pickup lead at the connector. At connector, check the 2 leads for ohms, should be approx 210 ohms. Them check each wire to ground. If either wire is grounded replace the pickup coil assy with a 2-wire assy.

I spent days trying to find out way the bike would not start, then went back and checked pickup coil wires to ground and that was problem.  After replacing pickup coil and lead assy, bike started right up.

Ernie Elmore

Re: Fuel filter

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
That would explain a lot . If this is a 2 wire lead they are probably shorted to each other.
Thanks for the heads up. Will check eBay

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 20, 2016, at 1:50 PM, [hidden email] [ViragoTech] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a 95 XV1100 and also had problem with the 2-wire lead from the pickup coil grounding on the left side cover. Terrible backfires and then nothing. Fix was to replace 2-wire pickup assy and lead from Ebay at $45.
> As a test, disconnect the pickup lead at the connector. At connector, check the 2 leads for ohms, should be approx 210 ohms. Them check each wire to ground. If either wire is grounded replace the pickup coil assy with a 2-wire assy.
>
> I spent days trying to find out way the bike would not start, then went back and checked pickup coil wires to ground and that was problem.  After replacing pickup coil and lead assy, bike started right up.
>
> Ernie Elmore

Re: Running poorly now think it's electrical

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
I changed the fuel and the filter . Still not fixed.
Have convinced myself that since one of the two wires coming off the stator was shorting to the exhaust, I have fried something electronic.  I started by pulling and testing the voltage regulator/rectifier.  Ran the checks shown on Pg 151 of Clymer.  I got infinite resistance when I try positive lead on red to each of the whites.  Reversing I get about 80 ohms when positive is on white leads and negative is on red. Clymer says when positive on red red to any white should read continuity, and reverse should be infinite.

So I am thinking regulator is fried. Does that sound right?

If correct, does anyone have good source for part SH 665-12? Looking at eBay many sellers says their part fits but none have the integral heat sink that the original part has.

Thx

jim

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 20, 2016, at 11:37 PM, James Moore [hidden email] [ViragoTech] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That would explain a lot . If this is a 2 wire lead they are probably shorted to each other.
> Thanks for the heads up. Will check eBay
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jun 20, 2016, at 1:50 PM, [hidden email] [ViragoTech] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> I have a 95 XV1100 and also had problem with the 2-wire lead from the pickup coil grounding on the left side cover. Terrible backfires and then nothing. Fix was to replace 2-wire pickup assy and lead from Ebay at $45.
>> As a test, disconnect the pickup lead at the connector. At connector, check the 2 leads for ohms, should be approx 210 ohms. Them check each wire to ground. If either wire is grounded replace the pickup coil assy with a 2-wire assy.
>>
>> I spent days trying to find out way the bike would not start, then went back and checked pickup coil wires to ground and that was problem.  After replacing pickup coil and lead assy, bike started right up.
>>
>> Ernie Elmore

Re: Running poorly now think it's electrical

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
More data.  I see that the polarity may be reversed depending on the type of meter used. So when I hit the white leads with positive, they read 60 to 90 ohms for a second then switch to infinite (open).  So maybe regulator is not bad after all.

I also checked the three stator leads . All read about 0.8 ohms between them and none are shorted to ground. So I am guessing that is ok as well.

Jim

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 2, 2016, at 12:47 PM, James Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I changed the fuel and the filter . Still not fixed.
> Have convinced myself that since one of the two wires coming off the stator was shorting to the exhaust, I have fried something electronic.  I started by pulling and testing the voltage regulator/rectifier.  Ran the checks shown on Pg 151 of Clymer.  I got infinite resistance when I try positive lead on red to each of the whites.  Reversing I get about 80 ohms when positive is on white leads and negative is on red. Clymer says when positive on red red to any white should read continuity, and reverse should be infinite.
>
> So I am thinking regulator is fried. Does that sound right?
>
> If correct, does anyone have good source for part SH 665-12? Looking at eBay many sellers says their part fits but none have the integral heat sink that the original part has.
>
> Thx
>
> jim
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Jun 20, 2016, at 11:37 PM, James Moore [hidden email] [ViragoTech] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> That would explain a lot . If this is a 2 wire lead they are probably shorted to each other.
>> Thanks for the heads up. Will check eBay
>>
>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Jun 20, 2016, at 1:50 PM, [hidden email] [ViragoTech] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> I have a 95 XV1100 and also had problem with the 2-wire lead from the pickup coil grounding on the left side cover. Terrible backfires and then nothing. Fix was to replace 2-wire pickup assy and lead from Ebay at $45.
>>> As a test, disconnect the pickup lead at the connector. At connector, check the 2 leads for ohms, should be approx 210 ohms. Them check each wire to ground. If either wire is grounded replace the pickup coil assy with a 2-wire assy.
>>>
>>> I spent days trying to find out way the bike would not start, then went back and checked pickup coil wires to ground and that was problem.  After replacing pickup coil and lead assy, bike started right up.
>>>
>>> Ernie Elmore

Re: Running poorly now think it's electrical

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
Sounds like a bad R/r