Virago 525 only running, a bit, on one cylinder

Virago 525 only running, a bit, on one cylinder

BOBJIM
Hi. I have just bought a 1995 Virago 535 as a project. I know very little about the bikes so I am hoping to learn as I go along. I know I am probably mad but it gets me out of the house.
The chap I bought it off hasn't ridden it for about 10 months and has kept it in a shed over the winter starting it up every couple of weeks for about 10 minutes. The last time he started it up it ran for couple of minutes then stopped and he was unable to start it again. As he's in his seventies he decided to sell it as a non runner.
It does sometimes fire up on the back cylinder on full choke but as soon as I try to open the throttle or reduce the choke it just dies. The guy I bought it off admitted that he often forgot to turn the ignition off when he left it in the shed and I think he has been stopping the engine with the cut off switch which I believe is not good for the coils but there is a spark from both plugs.
The battery is good and the fuel pump appears to be working. I pulled the feed pipe to the carbs and fired it up and there seemed to be plenty of fuel coming through.
Wondered if anyone could give me some advice on what I should be checking to find the fault. Is there a check I can do to see if the carbs are ok?
I hope someone can help as it is a canny little bike and I would like to restore it as best I can.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Virago 525 only running, a bit, on one cylinder

ViragoJoe
If you have spark on both cylinders then the fault would be with the carburetors needing a good cleaning.

First and and foremost is get a manual for the bike.  It will take the guess work out of what needs to be done.  If you do not want to tackle the cleaning yourself there are people on line that can clean them for you.  Also search youtube for folks that can show you how it is done, if you decide to tackle it yourself.  Some folks will tell you to add seafoam to the fuel.  In some cases it works in others it doesn't.  Especially, if the bike isn't running.  You can't get the additive into the carburetors.  I would say that if the previous owner didn't store the bike with a fuel stabilizer in the fuel you most likely will need to clean the carbs for residue will build up inside them from the stale fuel.

https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-xv-535/
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

Re: Virago 525 only running, a bit, on one cylinder

BOBJIM
Thanks for that. I will get the carbs off and have a go at cleaning them.
There is a spark at the plugs but having checked again it does look a bit weak so I amgoing to check through all the connections again.

The guy I bought the bike off has just sent me a manual on CD that he forgot he had so that should help.
Thanks again.

On 2 August 2017 at 14:35, ViragoJoe [via Yamaha Virago] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://yamaha-virago.17922.x6.nabble.com/Virago-525-only-running-a-bit-on-one-cylinder-tp5012030p5012031.html
To unsubscribe from Virago 525 only running, a bit, on one cylinder, click here.
NAML