Virago xv 1100 1991

whorya
Need to renew fork seals. Watched a YouTube video showing how to remove the bottom end of the forks, Like a pull hammer on a 1984 model. Without removing all the forks. Can anyone confirm that this method will work, on my 91 model?. Also I am getting petrol, coming through one of the carberetta vent pipes. any ideas on that..? Cheers everyone..

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

ViragoJoe

Pretty much, if what can be done on a 1984 model can be done to a 1991.

If you are getting fuel coming from the carb vent pipe.  You have a stuck or bad float and/or needle valve and seat.
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

whorya

Cheers Viragojoe. Pretty confident now of doing the job. As for the carb, the bike had been stood 3/4yrs un-used. Do you think get it started again. Using a light wooden mallet some gentle taps around the carb, may free the needle valve?.  I am not confident dealing with carbs....Regards Laurence.

Pretty much, if what can be done on a 1984 model can be done to a 1991.

If you are getting fuel coming from the carb vent pipe.  You have a stuck or bad float and/or needle valve and seat.
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

http://yamaha-virago.17922.x6.nabble.com/Virago-xv-1100-1991-tp5012011p5012014.html

To unsubscribe from Virago xv 1100 1991, click here.
NAML

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

ViragoJoe
This post was updated on .
Lawrence,
Yup, you should be able to get it started again.  Just takes a little TLC (Tender Lovin Care)!

You will need fresh fuel of course.

Make sure the tank is rust free, if not, clean it.  Note: If you aren't aware, on your 1100 there are TWO fuel tanks.  That big bulky bugger just behind your handle bars and in front of you.  The other is another (Sub Tank) on the left side of your bike under the plastic cover.  That plastic side cover is fun to get off.  Pull from the far right for there are little nubs on the left side that work as a hinge and you can't pull it off from the left.  Once you get it off, you'll see what I mean.

Drain fuel bowls on both carbs.

Change fuel filter.

Flush fuel lines if possible.

Yes, tapping fuel bowls lightly with a wooden mallet can free up stuck floats sometimes.  Make sure the bowls have fuel in them or you are tapping for nothing.  You need liquid to make them float.

Since you aren't fond, either, of pulling the carburetors apart to replace needle and seat.  Note: on the large engined Virago's 1000 and 1100's there is no vacuum actuated pet cock to turn on/off the fuel flow.  The only thing that stops the fuel flow are the floats with good needle and seat valves.  Everyone thinks that the fuel pump does that job.  Nope!  A friend of mine wiped out an 1100 after the bikes long winters nap.  The full tank of fuel that is recommended to minimize the formation of rust in the tank over long storage periods can create enough gravity pressure to push fuel through the pump and past the worn needle and seat or stuck float(s).  Runs down the cylinder walls past the rings and into the crankcase and contaminates the oil.  When storing the bike.  Take a sight glass reading of how much oil is indicated when you store the bike.  Bike vertical and not on the side stand.  Take a picture and lay it on the bike.  In the spring prior to waking her up check the sight glass.  If it shows more oil or the window is completely full.  Yup, you've got fuel in your oil.  Not a good thing.

Here is how to get around that problem.  If you are like me and don't really want to rebuild the carbs to still have it happen anyway.  Add a fuel shut off valve like this: https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=337
Can be purchased from any hardware or lawn mower shop.  Prior to cutting one of the braided fuel lines near the fuel pump (your Choice).  I picked the one going to the carburetors.  Wrap tape around the braided fuel line.  Give yourself a 1/2" to 3/4" inch of tape width.  Then cut in the middle of the wrapped on tape.  The reason for this is that the webbing frays easily to expose a very bright red hose under neath that really stands out.  I prefer keeping it black like the webbing does.  Unless, you like the look of red, again your choice.  Oh yeah, clamp off the fuel hose up stream or you may have more than a few dribbles of fuel coming from the hose you just cut in half.

Added information:
How does a CV Carburetor work: https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=717

DIY CARBURETOR FLOAT ADJUSTMENT
:
https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?t=368
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

whorya

First. I must thank you for taking the time to reply to my Queries. Your time doing so is much appreciated. May I call you VJ, or Joe if you wish. Also where are you located, country etc.

As to your first directions I did all of that i.e. Tank cleaning, filter. The bike does run "Rough" cant get it ticking over.

That's how I discovered the fuel leak. When it is running. The fuel comes out slower..!  The spark plugs come out sooty.

And, a lot of white exhaust smoke. So I checked my Haynes manual. And have gone for the simplest reason. To much oil. And found there was nearly 1ltr to much in the engine.

So I stripped of the exhaust as the smoke was coming through the front seal. And have renewed both Front and back. I am About  to restart the old boy. Do an engine oil clean/change.

Can I leave it there for the moment. Don't like to fog my old brain up, with to much details. One step at a time is my motto. Regards Laurence "Loll".

Yup, you should be able to get it started again.  Just takes a little TLC (Tender Lovin Care)!

You will need fresh fuel of course.

Make sure the tank is rust free, if not, clean it.  Note: If you aren't aware on your 1100 there are TWO fuel tanks.  That big bulky bugger just behind your handle bars and in front of you.  The other is on the left side of your bike under the plastic cover.  That one is fun to get off.  Pull from far right for there are little nubs on the left that work as a hinge and you can't pull it off from the left.  Once you get it off you'll see what I mean.

Drain fuel bowls on both carbs.

Change fuel filter.

Flush fuel lines if possible.

Yes, tapping fuel bowls lightly with a wooden mallet can free up stuck floats sometimes.  Make sure the bowls have fuel in them or you are tapping for nothing.  You need liquid to make them float.

Since you aren't fond of pulling the carburetors apart to replace needle and seat.  Note: on the large engined Virago's 1000 and 1100's there is no vacuum actuated pet cock to turn on/off the fuel flow.  The only thing that stops the fuel flow are the float with good needle and seat valves.  Everyone thinks that the fuel pump does that job.  Nope!  A friend of mine wiped out an 1100 after the bikes long winters nap.  The full tank of fuel that is recommended to minimize the formation of rust in the tank over long storage periods can create enough gravity pressure to push fuel through the pump and past the worn needle and seat or stuck float(s).  Runs down the cylinder walls passed the rings and into the crankcase and contaminates the oil.  When storing the bike.  Take a sight glass reading of how much oil is indicated when you store the bike.  Bike vertical and not on the side stand.  Take a picture and lay it on the bike.  In the spring prior to waking her up check the sight glass.  If it shows more oil or the window is completely full.  Yup, you've got fuel in your oil.  Not a good thing.

Here is how to get around that problem.  If you are like me and don't really want to rebuild the carbs to still have it happen anyway.  Add a fuel shut off valve like this: https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=337
Can be purchased from any hardware or lawn mower shop.  Prior to cutting one of the braided fuel lines near the pump (your Choice).  I picked the one going to the carburetors.  Wrap tape around the braided fuel line.  Give yourself a 1/2" to 3/4" inch of tape width.  Then cut in the middle of the wrapped on tape.  The reason for this is that the webbing frays easily to expose a very bright red hose under neath that really stands out.  I prefer keeping it black like the webbing does.
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

http://yamaha-virago.17922.x6.nabble.com/Virago-xv-1100-1991-tp5012011p5012019.html

To unsubscribe from Virago xv 1100 1991, click here.
NAML

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

ViragoJoe
Joe is fine.

I'm in the USA Michigan and you are where.

How is it that there was an extra Liter of oil in the crankcase.  Did you purchase it that way?  You really should not have run the bike with that much oil.  Another chap had had the same problem yesterday on another site.  However, I was able to get to him prior to starting up his Virago.  When in doubt do nothing until you consult a manual or ask a lot of question it can save you a lot of $$$ in the long run.

https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=572&sid=dad2c713e1aa69eaea1bd2243b79e5f8
Scroll down to post #5 by miffin

Virago 1100's take only 3 liters (3.17 quarts) w/o oil filter change.  You know there is a sight gauge for how much oil is in the engine.  On the left side down near the shifter.  With the bike on the center stand the oil level should be about a 1/4" from the top of the sight gauge glass.  With to much oil and running the engine can do damage to your engine.  Beside running rough you could have blow seals and have major leaks and if valve guide seals are blown you will keep burning oil until they are replaced.

You have pretty much trashed those spark plugs.  If oil has blown past the piston rings the heads may have considerable oil still in them and is going to take some time to burn it out of them.  You may go through several sets of plugs to do this.  Unless you have a s/plug sand blaster to throughly clean them.

Let me know what you have done thus far and don't start the bike until we talk.

ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

whorya

Hi VJ. I am in a town called Middlesbrough N/E England. Nice to meet you. Any way did run the bike with over the limit oil. But have put the right amount back in as you have indicated. As previously said going now to spark him up. For the oil change.

Hoping the smoke prob was to much oil. I didn't know it could be a big prob at the time. He was not running for to long.

Didn't have the manual or your expertise at the time. What's done is done.

Just hoping not caused any damage. Regards Loll. Thanks for your time...

I'm in the USA Michigan and you are where.

How is it that there was an extra Liter of oil in the crankcase.  Did you purchase it that way?  You really should not have run the bike with that much oil.  Another chap had had the same problem yesterday on another site.  However, I was able to get to him prior to starting up his Virago.  When in doubt do nothing until you consult a manual or ask a lot of question it can save you a lot of $$$ in the long run.

https://viragohelp.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=572&sid=dad2c713e1aa69eaea1bd2243b79e5f8
Scroll down to post #5 by miffin

Virago 1100's take only 3 liters 3000 cc's (3.17 quarts) w/o oil filter change.  You know there is a sight gauge for how much oil is in the engine.  On the left side down near the shifter.  With the bike on the center stand the oil level should be about a 1/4" from the top of the sight gauge glass.  With to much oil and running the engine can do damage to your engine.  Beside running rough you could have blow seals and have major leaks and if valve guide seals are blown you will keep burning oil until they are replaced.

You have pretty much trashed those spark plugs.  If oil has blown past the piston rings the heads may have considerable oil still in them and is going to take some time to burn it out of them.  You may go through several sets of plugs to do this.  Unless you have a s/plug sand blaster to throughly clean them.

Let me know what you have done thus far and don't start the bike until we talk.

ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

http://yamaha-virago.17922.x6.nabble.com/Virago-xv-1100-1991-tp5012011p5012025.html

To unsubscribe from Virago xv 1100 1991, click here.
NAML

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

ViragoJoe
Lawrence,
I've noticed you refer to the bike as he.

"He was not running for to long."

Thought you should know.  Your Virago is really a girl !!  Look up the definition for Virago.   LOL

ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

whorya

Ha Ha. How you doin Joe?. Don't care really "He" is my old growler. And, determined to get him back on the road. Where he belongs. Suite him and boot him, polish his buttons. And let someone take him the other step further. If they want.

"If" I can let the old feller go......Regards Loll.

I've noticed you refer to the bike as he.

"He was not running for to long."

Thought you should know.  Your Virago is really a girl !!  Look up the definition for Virago.   LOL

ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

http://yamaha-virago.17922.x6.nabble.com/Virago-xv-1100-1991-tp5012011p5012027.html

To unsubscribe from Virago xv 1100 1991, click here.
NAML

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

whorya

Hi Joe, Hope you and, if family are doing well. Pull up a chair. This may take a little time.

Well I took your advice and, Googled Virago. You were right. And, the description modelled my wife to perfection.

So now the ex-boy is called. "Ann".

Right... Took your advice and, checked the float chambers on the carbs. Yes they was petrol in both.

As you remember I did the exhaust seals. So they needed checking. (Will come to that on next email, if you don't mind).

So I decided to do an oil change. And following your advice. Put the old oil back in, also checking for any petrol in it, none.

Up to the level you advised. But I drained 200mls less as I was putting half litre of additive in.

So sparked Ann up, with my wooden mallet at the ready.

Well they was a blast of smoke. But that quickly dispersed. So  hopefully the fact to much oil in the engine was the fault.

Anyway tapped the carb a couple of times. And, the overflow of petrol stopped. So yes, something was sticking. Get back on that at a later date.

After 20mins with the additive. Drained the engine to then change the oil filter..😢

Before I tackle any stud/fastener I spray them for a couple of days. With carb clean followed by WD40 etc.

So I goy off two. but the top right hand one sheared.

So I said oooPs Or words to that effect. Sat back and made teeth marks into my ratchet handle.

I calmed down, just a little. Thinking where did it shear of. I opened my eyes. And through the tears seen, between the engine casing, and the cover.

I have now removed the crank/clutch cover. But it seems all of my drill bits will not go through this stud.

Would you please recommend the drill bits to do that. Also have seen. Retractor bits.

It is only about 5/16ths of an inch, embedded. Any advice on the drill bits too get. and the extractors. Joe any advise is always appreciated. Regards Loll/Laurence

To unsubscribe from Virago xv 1100 1991, click here.
NAML

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

whorya

 Joe forgot to mention I was taking of the Oil filter cover. When the stud /fastener sheared. Good night its 11.30pm over here.

I've noticed you refer to the bike as he.

"He was not running for to long."

Thought you should know.  Your Virago is really a girl !!  Look up the definition for Virago.   LOL

ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special

http://yamaha-virago.17922.x6.nabble.com/Virago-xv-1100-1991-tp5012011p5012027.html

yamaha-virago.17922.x6.nabble.com
Virago xv 1100 1991. Need to renew fork seals. Watched a YouTube video showing how to remove the bottom end of the forks, Like a pull hammer on a 1984 model. Without removing all the forks. Can anyone...

To unsubscribe from Virago xv 1100 1991, click here.
NAML
oso

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

oso
The leaky float valve should be fixed before riding. If not fixed, particularly on the older models before the fuel pump, you could end up with a lot of gas in the cylinder which can cause a large backfire explosion or lead to a bent rod. While it's a nuisance to pull the carb & do the rebuild or at least put in a new valve & seat, it will be worth it to you. I went through this problem with an old xv750. At startup, the backfire/explosions were so loud my neighbors dove for cover thinking there was a driveby shooting going on. Best of luck to you.

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

whorya

Hi Joe It only started to back fire. When I was easing the choke lever off. About half way "She" decided to give up the ghost. So had to restart on full choke. Advice always appreciated. Regards Loll..

The leaky float valve should be fixed before riding. If not fixed, particularly on the older models before the fuel pump, you could end up with a lot of gas in the cylinder which can cause a large backfire explosion or lead to a bent rod. While it's a nuisance to pull the carb & do the rebuild or at least put in a new valve & seat, it will be worth it to you. I went through this problem with an old xv750. At startup, the backfire/explosions were so loud my neighbors dove for cover thinking there was a driveby shooting going on. Best of luck to you.

http://yamaha-virago.17922.x6.nabble.com/Virago-xv-1100-1991-tp5012011p5012036.html

To unsubscribe from Virago xv 1100 1991, click here.
NAML

Re: Virago xv 1100 1991

ViragoJoe
Can you attach a picture of the sheared fastener.  That will help in how we can go about tackling this issue.

I'm going to be out of town for a few days and away from my computer, but will get back to you when I can.  Others here may have ideas as well.  Hold off on doing any drilling just yet.  There may be other alternatives to getting that fastener out.  Need the picture to see what is going on.

Joe
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special