Where's the fuse box?

bbburrr
This seems like a stupid question, but I just bought this beautiful
1996 750 Virago, and I can't find the fuse box. I'm about a week away
from receiving my shop manual that I ordered, and I have to get to the
fuse, 'cause my headlight isn't working. I hotwired out to the light
switch, and both the switch and the headlight function normally.
According to a wiring diagram I downloaded, the circuit runs thru the
on_off/start switch, then into the fuse relay.
  I found the main fuse on top of the battery under the seat, but no
joy otherwise.Is it inside of the instrument light box? I might have
to drill the screws out to get in.

Thanks for any help you all can give me.

 Biil B.

Re: Where's the fuse box?

Doyle-13
On my 1985 XV700 some of the fuses are in the cluster (just below the tach and speedo where the oil light, etc. is located. It seems like I have read somewhere that there are fuses inside some head lights. I looked on the internet to check out a bike like yours but nothing realy shows on the two that I saw. If the fuses aren't in the cluster they are more than likely under the seat or one of the side covers. They will be in a protected area from the weather where there is also some space. You will find very few areas that provide both space and protection. You should never have to drill any screws out, unless someone stripped them out. Don't drill anything until you have a chance to get a response from some of the guys out there that own a bike like yours or at least know something about them. There are alot of smart guys out there who will help. I saw a couple of 535's on ebay, they are nice looking bikes.  Doyle in California.

Re: Where's the fuse box?

bbburrr
Thanks for the quick response.
I saw the previous thread, d/l'd the Clymer manual, and found out
where the fuses hide. They are inside the instrument light box. It's
very tight in there, but I'll give them a soak with some penetrating
oil, then get them out.I'm thinking of trying to replace as many
screws as possible with stainless screws.
--- In [hidden email], "Doyle" <dmsmith10@...> wrote:

> On my 1985 XV700 some of the fuses are in the cluster (just below
the tach and speedo where the oil light, etc. is located. It seems
like I have read somewhere that there are fuses inside some head
lights. I looked on the internet to check out a bike like yours but
nothing realy shows on the two that I saw. If the fuses aren't in
the cluster they are more than likely under the seat or one of the
side covers. They will be in a protected area from the weather where
there is also some space. You will find very few areas that provide
both space and protection. You should never have to drill any screws
out, unless someone stripped them out. Don't drill anything until
you have a chance to get a response from some of the guys out there
that own a bike like yours or at least know something about them.
There are alot of smart guys out there who will help. I saw a couple
of 535's on ebay, they are nice looking bikes.  Doyle in California.

Re: Where's the fuse box?

Charlie McCarthy (Mortis421)
From Chapter Seven : Page 186 Clymer Manual:

"On 1984-on models, the remaining fuses are located underneath the indicator light panel. Remove the panel (FIGURE 106) and replace the blown fuse. "

Re: Where's the fuse box?

Ron-90
I see you got the answer to your question and see that you have a
fairly "new" bike in comparison to some of us oldies :-)

Have you looked at resources on the Yamaha website? I was able to get a
a PDF copy (read-only) of the Owner's Manual for my 98 RS for no charge
and I think they may have things like that for the later Viragos.

https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/myyamaha/login/L3N0YXIvbXl5YW1haGEv
aG9tZS5hc3B4/starthere.aspx

You'll have to register though to access the service.

Gypsy

--- In [hidden email], "Bill Burrows" <bbburrr@...> wrote:

> This seems like a stupid question, but I just bought this beautiful
> 1996 750 Virago, and I can't find the fuse box. I'm about a week away
> from receiving my shop manual that I ordered, and I have to get to
the

> fuse, 'cause my headlight isn't working. I hotwired out to the light
> switch, and both the switch and the headlight function normally.
> According to a wiring diagram I downloaded, the circuit runs thru the
> on_off/start switch, then into the fuse relay.
>   I found the main fuse on top of the battery under the seat, but no
> joy otherwise.Is it inside of the instrument light box? I might have
> to drill the screws out to get in.
>
> Thanks for any help you all can give me.
>
>  Biil B.

Re: Re: Where's the fuse box?

cksonriders
Greetings Biil B:  On my 1997 XV1100, besides the fuses under the  seat,
there are also fuses behind the instrument light box.  Four screws  hold the cover
on, maybe just the headlight fuse is gone.  As for the head  light I replaced
the standard  55/60w bulb with a "PIAA 95/100w unit (  $12.95 CND).

GOD  BLESS          Your Brother in  CHRIST             Kelly

Re: Re: Where's the fuse box?

rgouin11
What would the model number be on the PIAA 95/100w bulb be. I assume that
the same one would fir my 95 XV1100 as well.

In a message dated 6/15/2008 3:00:11 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Greetings Biil B:  On my 1997 XV1100, besides the fuses under the  seat,
there are also fuses behind the instrument light box.  Four screws  hold the cover
on, maybe just the headlight fuse is gone.  As for the  head light I replaced
the standard  55/60w bulb with a "PIAA 95/100w unit  ( $12.95 CND).

GOD  BLESS          Your Brother  in CHRIST             Kelly

2008.      (http://citysbest.aol.com?ncid=aolacg00050000000102)

Re: Where's the fuse box?

bbburrr
Thanks for the reply.

The fuse is good. Appears that the prob is in the on/off handlebar
switch.

I plan to replace the switch assembly, and bypass that circuit while
I wait for my order to arrive. I'll make a splice within the old
harness.

Thanks for the info on upgrading the headlamp.

One Day At A Time,

     Bill B.

--- In [hidden email], cksonriders@... wrote:

> Greetings Biil B:  On my 1997 XV1100, besides the fuses under the
seat,
> there are also fuses behind the instrument light box.  Four
screws  hold the cover
> on, maybe just the headlight fuse is gone.  As for the head  light
I replaced
> the standard  55/60w bulb with a "PIAA 95/100w unit (  $12.95
CND).

> GOD  BLESS          Your Brother in  CHRIST             Kelly

Re: Re: Where's the fuse box?

bbburrr
I got ahold of the Clymer manual uploaded to Rapidshare. That Yamaha site doesn't have anything pre-1998...no 750 Virago.

I see you got the answer to your question and see that you have a
fairly "new" bike in comparison to some of us oldies :-)

Have you looked at resources on the Yamaha website? I was able to get a
a PDF copy (read-only) of the Owner's Manual for my 98 RS for no charge
and I think they may have things like that for the later Viragos.

https://www. starmotorcycles. com/star/ myyamaha/ login/L3N0YXIvbX l5YW1haGEv
aG9tZS5hc3B4/ starthere. aspx

You'll have to register though to access the service.

Gypsy

--- In ViragoTech@yahoogro ups.com, "Bill Burrows" &lt;bbburrr@... &gt; wrote:
&gt;
&gt; This seems like a stupid question, but I just bought this beautiful
&gt; 1996 750 Virago, and I can't find the fuse box. I'm about a week away
&gt; from receiving my shop manual that I ordered, and I have to get to
the
&gt; fuse, 'cause my headlight isn't working. I hotwired out to the light
&gt; switch, and both the switch and the headlight function normally.
&gt; According to a wiring diagram I downloaded, the circuit runs thru the
&gt; on_off/start switch, then into the fuse relay.
&gt; I found the main fuse on top of the battery under the seat, but no
&gt; joy otherwise.Is it inside of the instrument light box? I might have
&gt; to drill the screws out to get in.
&gt;
&gt; Thanks for any help you all can give me.
&gt;
&gt; Biil B.
&gt;

RE: [SPAM] Re: Where's the fuse box?

Dave-336
Bill,
No that I think about it I had a similar Problem.  And it was the starter
Switch on he handles bars.  A quick and inexpensive fix is to open housing
and using Silicone spray into it and work it with the key of.  I will help
clean the contact. I would recommend that you don't work the switch until
you have is re secured to the handlebar.  See if that helps.

Dave

The fuse is good. Appears that the prob is in the on/off handlebar
switch.

I plan to replace the switch assembly, and bypass that circuit while
I wait for my order to arrive. I'll make a splice within the old
harness.

Thanks for the info on upgrading the headlamp.

One Day At A Time,

Bill B.

--- In [hidden email] <mailto:ViragoTech%40yahoogroups.com> ,
cksonriders@... wrote:

> Greetings Biil B: On my 1997 XV1100, besides the fuses under the
seat,
> there are also fuses behind the instrument light box. Four
screws hold the cover
> on, maybe just the headlight fuse is gone. As for the head light
I replaced
> the standard 55/60w bulb with a "PIAA 95/100w unit ( $12.95
CND).

> GOD BLESS Your Brother in CHRIST Kelly

How to get the seat up.

cathywood42
I know this might be a silly question, but how do you get the seat off
on a 95 1100 cc Virago??

Re: How to get the seat up.

mark sabin
Hi kathy,

well if its like the 89, there are two bolts at the front sides of the seat. One is quite a way under the seat. You may have to take the side panels off to get to that one unless you have an extenstion bar with the appropriate hex key on it.

it then lifts up and forward (to clear the plug and socket at the rear of the seat) and off the bike. Bit of a squeeze as you lift it forward - careful you dont mark the tank.

Hope this helps

Mark

> From: "cathywood42" <[hidden email]>
> Date: 2008/06/17 Tue PM 03:23:35 GMT
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [ViragoTech] How to get the seat up.
>
> I know this might be a silly question, but how do you get the seat off
> on a 95 1100 cc Virago??

RE: How to get the seat up.

mdwestlund

There are two bolts. one on each side of the front of the seat the back of the seat is held on by a plastic hook.

To: [hidden email]: [hidden email]: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:23:35 +0000Subject: [ViragoTech] How to get the seat up.

I know this might be a silly question, but how do you get the seat off on a 95 1100 cc Virago??

Introducing Live Search cashback .  It's search that pays you back!
http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=introsrchcashback

RE: [SPAM] Re: Where's the fuse box?

bbburrr
Thanks for the word on the silicone spray. I already bypassed the headlight portion of the switch, but now the on-off part is getting iffy. I'll try the silicone, then maybe reconnect the headlight circuit to see if it was effective. BTW, that bypass can be done without any cutting or splicing, if you don't mind giving up your instrument lights. Just a matter of pulling the headlight, finding the correct harness, and&nbsp; swapping a couple of bullet plugs around.

The fuse is good. Appears that the prob is in the on/off handlebar
switch.

I plan to replace the switch assembly, and bypass that circuit while
I wait for my order to arrive. I'll make a splice within the old
harness.

Thanks for the info on upgrading the headlamp.

One Day At A Time,

Bill B.

--- In ViragoTech@yahoogro ups.com &lt;mailto:ViragoTech% 40yahoogroups. com&gt; ,
cksonriders@ ... wrote:
&gt;
&gt; Greetings Biil B: On my 1997 XV1100, besides the fuses under the
seat,
&gt; there are also fuses behind the instrument light box. Four
screws hold the cover
&gt; on, maybe just the headlight fuse is gone. As for the head light
I replaced
&gt; the standard 55/60w bulb with a "PIAA 95/100w unit ( $12.95
CND).
&gt;
&gt; GOD BLESS Your Brother in CHRIST Kelly
&gt;