front cylinder runs intermintently

rayillu
got a 88 virago where the front cylinder fires intermintently.  I have tried 3 different coils and it behaves the same with all 3.  When the spark plug wire is securely on the front cylinder spark plug it does not fire.  When i pull the wire off the plug and just leave it on lightly and do not clip it in the cylinder fires as normal.  Does anyone possibly have an idea what this could be.

Re: front cylinder runs intermintently

jack lay
hitachi's are junk. Try going to a single Vikuni. Had same problem on 85 1000. Tapping bowl of failed cylinder carb while running on one cylinder or without bike running sometimes frees up stuck float.

Re: front cylinder runs intermintently

buster6315
Sounds to me like a bad plug.

Re: front cylinder runs intermintently

ViragoJoe
This post was updated on .
Ray,
Read this article scroll down to spark plug caps
Also Scroll down to spark plugs
https://www.viragohelp.com/virago-ignition-systems/

An Except from that article:

"One phenomenon that some riders experience is this: a cylinder fails to fire, or fires badly with the cap on the plug.  But when the cap is pulled just slightly off the plug and the cylinder lights up and runs.  Why would this happen?  Well, my best guess is that there is a problem somewhere in the system that is causing a weak spark.  By adding an additional air gap, the coil is forced to reach a bit higher voltage before the two jumps can occur, thus making for a strong, hotter spark.  The basic problem still needs to be found.

When riders start to foul plugs, a typical reaction is to try a hotter plug to burn off the built up carbon.  This really isn’t the way to go, in my opinion.  You shouldn’t be trying to solve fuel mixture or ignition problems by changing heat ranges.  Get your carburetion and ignition right, and run the right plug."
ViragoJoe
1996 Virago 1100 Special