reinstalling carburator air box boots for xv535

reinstalling carburator air box boots for xv535

sharons
I am trying to reinstall my carburator on my xv535. I removed the top boots in order to do this. I got the carburator in but now I am having trouble getting the boots back on. It seems impossible to get the back boot down through the hole onto the carb. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for this?
SL

Re: reinstalling carburator air box boots for xv535

SL
2 stages.......took me 2 weekends to work it out,it does appear impossible.

Stage 1.....put the rubber boots in brake fluid,left mine 2 days,longer might be better,this will make them supple and easier to work with.

Stage 2.....the tricky bit,insert boots into airbox from below,without carbs insitu,so that 2 of the flanges are sticking out bottom of airbox,the carbs will now go into the space,and drop into bottom boots.

Two people required for next part.how to get flange 3 through the box and onto carbs.
Thread some string,soft type that will not cut into rubber,over the biggest flange that is sitting just below base metal airbox,flange 2,pass it around both sides flange,so you have both sides string around the boot,on one side bike.

Keeping the tension on string,form simple crossover knot so that the string tightens around rubber boot.

Pass one side of string to helper on other side bike,once the knot is around boot,should not slip.

You can both then gently pull on the boot from both sides string,it will pull down onto carbs,they might need lining up to get the lip bang on.

Start with boot nearest back wheel,the tricky one.

Repeat for front one,

Hope this makes sense.