virago xv1100 1991 stuck in gear cannot change gear but shifter pedal and spline appears to be moving

virago xv1100 1991 stuck in gear cannot change gear but shifter pedal and spline appears to be moving

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
> Bill wonder if you can help me . i have a virago 1100 that is stuck in gear and the shifter is moving externally with the splined shaft responding to the pedal but cannot get it out of the gear it is in. the clutch appeared to be working as it should. any assistance with where or what to look for would be appreciated.
regards Alfie

RE: virago xv1100 1991 stuck in gear cannot change gear but shifter pedal and spline appears to be moving [1 Attachment]

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
My first thought would be that the linkage is bent or out of adjustment. Possible bent or broken shift lever assembly. I would suggest putting the bike on the center stand, remove the shift linkage and using a pair of vice grips or other locking pliers, try working the shift lever assembly while moving the rear wheel back and forth to see if you can get it out of gear and into neutral. Here’s a link showing the shift assembly. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1991/VIRAGO+1100+-+XV1100B/SHIFT+SHAFT/parts.html
Was there anything that happened out of the ordinary that could have caused this?

Bill

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Bill wonder if you can help me . i have a virago 1100 that is stuck in gear and the shifter is moving externally with the splined shaft responding to the pedal but cannot get it out of the gear it is in. the clutch appeared to be working as it should. any assistance with where or what to look for would be appreciated.
regards Alfie

Re: virago xv1100 1991 stuck in gear cannot change gear but shifter pedal and spline appears to be moving

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
I HAD THIS HAPPEN TO MY 1100 RECENTLY DROPPED INTO 4TH GEAR TO PASS A CAR AND THERE IT STAYED I STOPPED TO TAKE CARE OF THE BUSINESS AFTER A LITTLE ROCKING ROAD HOME IN 4TH GEAR ORDERED RIGHT CASE GASKET AND PULLED LINKAGE ROCKED THE WHEEL TO MAKE SURE INTERNAL LINKAGE WORKED PROPERLY AND PULLED SHIFT LINKAGE FROM PARTS BIKE BIKE AND REASSEMBLED YOU MUST SET IN NEUTRAL . WORST CASE SCENARIO BENT OR BROKEN SYNCHRONIZER COMPLETE ENGINE CASE SPLIT. NOT A TECH BUT LOVE MY VIRAGO AND HAVE A MANUAL

________________________________
Bill wonder if you can help me . i have a virago 1100 that is stuck in gear and the shifter is moving externally with the splined shaft responding to the pedal but cannot get it out of the gear it is in. the clutch appeared to be working as it should. any assistance with where or what to look for would be appreciated.
regards Alfie

Re: virago xv1100 1991 stuck in gear cannot change gear but shifter pedal and spline appears to be moving

Virago Tech Archive (YahooGroups) mailing list
thanks very much for the reply and diagram. i did for reasons of embarassment omit to mention its a trike but the diagram suggests the problem might be in the internal selector mechanism. i ll keep you posted. thanks once again
regards Alfie

Alfred Machon

> On 3 Dec 2016, at 00:05, [hidden email] [ViragoTech] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [Attachment(s) from [hidden email] included below]
> My first thought would be that the linkage is bent or out of adjustment. Possible bent or broken shift lever assembly. I would suggest putting the bike on the center stand, remove the shift linkage and using a pair of vice grips or other locking pliers, try working the shift lever assembly while moving the rear wheel back and forth to see if you can get it out of gear and into neutral. Here’s a link showing the shift assembly. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1991/VIRAGO+1100+-+XV1100B/SHIFT+SHAFT/parts.html
>
> Was there anything that happened out of the ordinary that could have caused this?
>

> Bill
>

> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Why are you shouting at us?

>I HAD THIS HAPPEN TO MY 1100 RECENTLY DROPPED
>INTO 4TH GEAR TO PASS A CAR AND THERE IT STAYED
>I STOPPED TO TAKE CARE OF THE BUSINESS AFTER A
>LITTLE ROCKING ROAD HOME IN 4TH GEAR ORDERED
>RIGHT CASE GASKET AND PULLED LINKAGE ROCKED THE
>WHEEL TO MAKE SURE INTERNAL LINKAGE WORKED
>PROPERLY AND PULLED SHIFT LINKAGE FROM PARTS
>BIKE BIKE AND REASSEMBLED YOU MUST SET IN
>NEUTRAL . WORST CASE SCENARIO BENT OR BROKEN
>SYNCHRONIZER COMPLETE ENGINE CASE SPLIT. NOT A
>TECH BUT LOVE MY VIRAGO AND HAVE A MANUAL

Web Hosting Services
Domain Name Registration
http://rshweb.com
http://domain.rshweb.com