Quantcast

xv250

123

xv250

hmmmm  why you need to know??
Hi Guys N Girls,
Im ;looking for some help on an xv250 which was given to me as a kinda
weekend job to get going for myself. Ive got it to the point where the
starter turns over and i have spark but no ignition yet. any ideas??
could it be the carby?

=====================
Posted through Grouply, the better way
to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
http://www.grouply.com/?code=post

type_D

Re: xv250

RobinHood7200
--- In [hidden email], "hmmmm  why you need to know??"
<forries36@...> wrote:

> Hi Guys N Girls,
> Im ;looking for some help on an xv250 which was given to me as a kinda
> weekend job to get going for myself. Ive got it to the point where the
> starter turns over and i have spark but no ignition yet. any ideas??
> could it be the carby?
>
> =====================
> Posted through Grouply, the better way
> to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
> http://www.grouply.com/?code=post
> With any engine it is fuel, fire, air, and timing
>

> type_D

Re: Re: xv250

Doyle-13
It sounds like the carb to me. Or at least a fuel problem. Unless the timing was already off when you got the bike. With timing you would get some poping and backfiring, etc. I have had alot of problems with my XV700. If you read the Virago web page and the e-mails, most of the problems seem to be carbs. Some jerk sent me and e-mail saying it was lack of maintenance. I guess he doesn't read many of the e-amails. The carbs are not realy complicated. If you have worked on carbs before you wont have a problem. If not, take photo's, make notes and don't start twisting screws. Get a manual, check the Tech sites. Learn as much as you can before you tear them down. Good Luck.
  <forries36@...> wrote:

  > Hi Guys N Girls,
  > Im ;looking for some help on an xv250 which was given to me as a kinda
  > weekend job to get going for myself. Ive got it to the point where the
  > starter turns over and i have spark but no ignition yet. any ideas??
  > could it be the carby?
  >
  > =====================
  > Posted through Grouply, the better way
  > to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
  > http://www.grouply.com/?code=post
  > With any engine it is fuel, fire, air, and timing
  >
  >
  > type_D

RE: Re: xv250

bill.stigall
Try spraying some starting fluid into the intake and see if it will fire. If
so, then you need to make sure you are getting fuel to the carbs. The carbs
should have a drain screw on the bottom of the bowl. If it does, open it and
drain the fuel into a clear container to see what it looks like. It could be
contaminated with water and such.

  _____

> Im ;looking for some help on an xv250 which was given to me as a kinda
> weekend job to get going for myself. Ive got it to the point where the
> starter turns over and i have spark but no ignition yet. any ideas??
> could it be the carby?
>
> =====================
> Posted through Grouply, the better way
> to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
> http://www.grouply. <http://www.grouply.com/?code=post> com/?code=post
> With any engine it is fuel, fire, air, and timing
>

> type_D

RE: Re: xv250

Inbred Redneck
On the bottom of the XV250 carb should be a little nub onto which you can slip a piece of clear tubing, such as is used for battery overflow. That'll allow you to see what's coming out when you open the little phillips screw just above said nub. The tubing also lets you squirt carb cleaner back up into the float bowl. Better than pulling the tank and trying to feed cleaner into the fuel inlet in the carb. Not a lot of room.  Don't know if you could also use this set up to get some starter fluid into the carb to see if the bike'll at least fire.

Rob J

myself. Ive got it to the point where the
> starter turns over and i have
spark but no ignition yet. any ideas??
> could it be the carby?
>

> ============ =========
> Posted through Grouply, the better
way
> to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
> http://www.grouply. com/?code= post

With any engine it is fuel, fire, air, and timing

type_D

Re: xv250

hmmmm  why you need to know??
Thanks for the advice guys... looks like next weekend i will try the
carb.. Im so close to getting this thing going I just know it.. haha..

 its annoying me.. -- In [hidden email], "Doyle"
<dmsmith10@...> wrote:

> It sounds like the carb to me. Or at least a fuel problem. Unless
the timing was already off when you got the bike. With timing you
would get some poping and backfiring, etc. I have had alot of
problems with my XV700. If you read the Virago web page and the e-
mails, most of the problems seem to be carbs. Some jerk sent me and e-
mail saying it was lack of maintenance. I guess he doesn't read many
of the e-amails. The carbs are not realy complicated. If you have
worked on carbs before you wont have a problem. If not, take photo's,
make notes and don't start twisting screws. Get a manual, check the
Tech sites. Learn as much as you can before you tear them down. Good
Luck.

Re: xv250

hmmmm  why you need to know??
-Well I tried the carby and yes its a bit stuffed on the inside..(black
up to the float level from bad fuel from sitting so long i think). This
I can fix with a wreckers carby. Next prob!!!  I can shift from neutral
to first easily but it wont go up gear and when it is in gear even with
the clutch pulled in it still grabs.. simple clutch adjustment or am i
fighting a losing battle here??

<forries36@...> wrote:

> Hi Guys N Girls,
> Im ;looking for some help on an xv250 which was given to me as a kinda
> weekend job to get going for myself. Ive got it to the point where the
> starter turns over and i have spark but no ignition yet. any ideas??
> could it be the carby?
>
> =====================
> Posted through Grouply, the better way
> to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
> http://www.grouply.com/?code=post
>

> type_D

Re: Re: xv250

bill.stigall
Probably clutch adjustment. Follow  the instructions in the Service manual for clutch adjustment. You can probably clean your carbs.

  <forries36@...> wrote:

  > Hi Guys N Girls,
  > Im ;looking for some help on an xv250 which was given to me as a kinda
  > weekend job to get going for myself. Ive got it to the point where the
  > starter turns over and i have spark but no ignition yet. any ideas??
  > could it be the carby?
  >
  > =====================
  > Posted through Grouply, the better way
  > to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
  > http://www.grouply.com/?code=post
  >
  >
  >
  > type_D

Re: xv250

hmmmm  why you need to know??
-ok clutch is sorted... hope im not bein too much of a pain with
silly questions... all i need is a weekend to get stuck into the
carby and i reckon we will have lift off... will post before and
after pics... nothin like a bit of fun with a 20yr old to get your
blood going... and the bike is doin well also...

<forries36@...> wrote:

> -Well I tried the carby and yes its a bit stuffed on the inside..
(black
> up to the float level from bad fuel from sitting so long i think).
This
> I can fix with a wreckers carby. Next prob!!!  I can shift from
neutral
> to first easily but it wont go up gear and when it is in gear even
with
> the clutch pulled in it still grabs.. simple clutch adjustment or
am i

> fighting a losing battle here??
>

>  -- In [hidden email], "hmmmm  why you need to know??"
> <forries36@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Guys N Girls,
> > Im ;looking for some help on an xv250 which was given to me as a
kinda
> > weekend job to get going for myself. Ive got it to the point
where the
> > starter turns over and i have spark but no ignition yet. any
ideas??

> > could it be the carby?
> >
> > =====================
> > Posted through Grouply, the better way
> > to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
> > http://www.grouply.com/?code=post
> >

> > type_D

Re: Re: xv250

Doyle-13
A very wise man (a City Manager) once told me that, "the only dumb question is the one not asked". Everyone on the web site has a different level of knowledge, some alot, others alittle, some have none. Most are willing to share what knowledge they have or to look up things in our manuals to help. Both of these guys that are the center of this problem are knowledgeable and are willing to help others. Somehow a missunderstanding occured. It's over now!  As far as off subject e-mails are concerned, I have a few times asked people about where they lived (not their address) to just to get to know something about those on line. I like to know things about  people from other countries, their age, etc. Although I live in Calif. I have found people on this site from my home town in Indiana. Thats all cool. Although I find alot of e-mails that don't interest me, I glance at them and delete them. As far as oils go, there is a lot of claims out there about oils. Nothing, to me beats the word of someone who has used a certain oil. I can weigh that and make up my own mind. I remember long ago in the news paper, Ann Landers who gave people advice, had a long running debate about which way the roll of toilet paper should hang. Was it with the lose end on the outside or in the rear? (some of you are too young to remember)This continued to ome up.  As a former Director of General  Services (retired) I learned along time ago that what is important to me, might not matter to others, but if it is important to them, I should hear them out. They will feel better and I might learn something.   Peace Brothers It's over!

  <forries36@...> wrote:

  > -Well I tried the carby and yes its a bit stuffed on the inside..
  (black
  > up to the float level from bad fuel from sitting so long i think).
  This
  > I can fix with a wreckers carby. Next prob!!! I can shift from
  neutral
  > to first easily but it wont go up gear and when it is in gear even
  with
  > the clutch pulled in it still grabs.. simple clutch adjustment or
  am i
  > fighting a losing battle here??
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  >
  > -- In [hidden email], "hmmmm why you need to know??"
  > <forries36@> wrote:
  > >
  > > Hi Guys N Girls,
  > > Im ;looking for some help on an xv250 which was given to me as a
  kinda
  > > weekend job to get going for myself. Ive got it to the point
  where the
  > > starter turns over and i have spark but no ignition yet. any
  ideas??
  > > could it be the carby?
  > >
  > > =====================
  > > Posted through Grouply, the better way
  > > to access your Yahoo Groups like this one.
  > > http://www.grouply.com/?code=post
  > >
  > >
  > >
  > > type_D

odd clanking sound

Claudio-53

Hey Guy's,

Has anyone experienced a clanking or clunking sound while riding? The sound
only happens when the engine is in between acceleration and deceleration. In
other words the motor is running and the bike is in gear (does not matter
which gear but it's more noticeable in 3 thru 5th) but it's not speeding up
or slowing down it's in between (bike is coasting) I'm thinking it might be
normal because of the bike being shaft driven but you never know. Other wise
the bike runs fine, (85 700cc)

Thanks,

Claudio.

Re: odd clanking sound

jdemes
clanking or clunking is never good and not normal
-------------- Original message from Claudio <[hidden email]>: --------------

Hey Guy’s,

Has anyone experienced a clanking or clunking sound while riding? The sound only happens when the engine is in between acceleration and deceleration. In other words the motor is running and the bike is in gear (does not matter which gear but it’s more noticeable in 3 thru 5th) but it’s not speeding up or slowing down it’s in between (bike is coasting) I’m thinking it might be normal because of the bike being shaft driven but you never know. Other wise the bike runs fine, (85 700cc)

Thanks,
Claudio.

Re: odd clanking sound

bill.stigall
Can you be a little more specific? Can you hear it more on one side than the other? Is it more toward the front or the rear of the bike? I can say it isn't normal nor is it due to the shaft drive.

Bill
  Has anyone experienced a clanking or clunking sound while riding? The sound only happens when the engine is in between acceleration and deceleration. In other words the motor is running and the bike is in gear (does not matter which gear but it's more noticeable in 3 thru 5th) but it's not speeding up or slowing down it's in between (bike is coasting) I'm thinking it might be normal because of the bike being shaft driven but you never know. Other wise the bike runs fine, (85 700cc)

  Thanks,

  Claudio.

Re: odd clanking sound

Doyle-13
Claudio I would be concerned about the joints on the drive shaft. An automobile would have sounds like this with bad u-joints on the drive shaft. Many times they are more noticable with less pressure on them.
  Has anyone experienced a clanking or clunking sound while riding? The sound only happens when the engine is in between acceleration and deceleration. In other words the motor is running and the bike is in gear (does not matter which gear but it's more noticeable in 3 thru 5th) but it's not speeding up or slowing down it's in between (bike is coasting) I'm thinking it might be normal because of the bike being shaft driven but you never know. Other wise the bike runs fine, (85 700cc)

  Thanks,

  Claudio.

RE: odd clanking sound

Claudio-53
That's I'm thinking It might be worn out u joint on the shaft. The sound
only appears when there is no spinning force once I open the throttle or am
slowing down (which is most of the time of course) I hear nothing

  _____

Claudio I would be concerned about the joints on the drive shaft. An
automobile would have sounds like this with bad u-joints on the drive shaft.
Many times they are more noticable with less pressure on them.

RE: odd clanking sound

Claudio-53
I hear it on the left side but can't say if it's In the front or rear.  I'm
guessing either a bad u-joint or something is worn out some ware in the
drive train. I only hear it while riding and in-between forces.

  _____

RE: odd clanking sound

Steve Orr-2
I have a '81 750 that made the soud you describe... turned out to be the nut that holds the yoke on for the u-joint. It was completely loose and got a bit chewed up but went back on easily enough and the sound vanished!
SteveO

> I hear it on the left side but can't say if it's In
> the front or rear.  I'm
> guessing either a bad u-joint or something is worn out some
> ware in the
> drive train. I only hear it while riding and in-between
> forces.
>

>   _____

Re: odd clanking sound

bill.stigall
Good possiblility it is the U joint or something in the drive shaft. I wouldn't ride it until I found out what it was. If it is drive train related and it locks up, it could be very dangerous at 60 MPH>

Bill

[...]

kss/wlg
My 87 700 was doing the same so, I took the engine out and was going to mod it with an 85 700....Guess i never should have trusted a used engine for 200.00. It has the same thing wrong. I tend to believe it comes from 1 of a few things. 1 is shaft u-joint. 1 is possible clutch problems. 1 is possible shifting fork noise. 1 is possible carby probs.
  Has anyone experienced a clanking or clunking sound while riding? The sound only happens when the engine is in between acceleration and deceleration. In other words the motor is running and the bike is in gear (does not matter which gear but it's more noticeable in 3 thru 5th) but it's not speeding up or slowing down it's in between (bike is coasting) I'm thinking it might be normal because of the bike being shaft driven but you never know. Other wise the bike runs fine, (85 700cc)

  Thanks,

  Claudio.

Re: odd clanking sound

Claudio-53
Now that you mention that i think it might be a combo of those things.
I can tell you that  i here it more often now that the low end tourqe has increased. (single carb)
but it's a little funny at around 2000 rpm (not smooth thinking it might be due to the fact that i can't change my 42 pilot jet on the carb (it's pressed in) and need to go 50) and I hear it more around there, if i release or open the throttle it's gone.  Thanks for the input!.

Also does anyone have a carb with a changeable pilot that they don't need?

> My 87 700 was doing the same so, I took the engine out and was
> going to mod it with an 85 700....Guess i never should have
> trusted a used engine for 200.00. It has the same thing wrong. I
> tend to believe it comes from 1 of a few things. 1 is shaft u-
> joint. 1 is possible clutch problems. 1 is possible shifting
> fork noise. 1 is possible carby probs.

123